Thursday, March 7, 2013

Peanut Butter Blondies with Fudge Frosting

Calling all chocolate and peanut butter lovers! Your life has just been made 10.7 times better because these bars are A.MAZ.ING!!!

Imagine the flavor of peanut butter fudge meets the chewiness of a brownie and then gets topped with a creamy, fudgy chocolate frosting. If you can clearly picture that, you've basically dreamed these brownie / blondie things. (I had serious issues deciding if I wanted to title these "Brownies" or Blondies. I obviously made a decision...hopefully one that makes sense.)



These bars seemed appropriate to post today because it's my mom's birthday (Happy Birthday!), and she is a huge peanut butter fan! She loved these bars, all for good reason. They're perfectly peanut butter-y, and I added some peanut butter chips for extra peanut butter flavor. And, seeing how I'm on a dark-chocolate-cocoa-powder-in-every-possible-food-in-every-possible-way road, I added it to some frosting. Regular cocoa powder can be used instead of special dark, so do not fear if all you have on hand is regular.

What I'm saying is that if you like peanut butter and chocolate, try these TODAY! 


Peanut Butter Blondies with Fudge Frosting

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup peanut butter chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.

In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add in the brown sugar and mix until combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla.

Next, mix in the salt and baking powder. Once that's mixed in well, add in the flour, and mix until everything's evenly combined. Fold in the peanut butter chips.

Spread evenly in the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The bars should be set. Cool completely before frosting and cutting. Store in an airtight container.

Fudge Frosting

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder - I used special dark, but 
regular can be substituted.
3 T. milk

Using a mixer, cream together the butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar for about a minute. Add in the vanilla, cocoa powder, and milk, 1 T. at a time, mixing well after each addition. On low speed, mix in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. Once mixed in, beat the frosting on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Spread on the cooled bars.
NOTE - I didn't end up using all of the frosting on the bars; I had about 1/4 cup extra that I didn't use. I stuck the extra in an airtight container and put it fridge.

Linked to Inside Bru Crew LifeBuns In My OvenSix Sister's Stuff

2 comments:

  1. This is a different twist to the traditional chocolate and peanut butter cookie! Love it! I've now pinned a few recipes from your blog so thank you for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are honestly one of my favorite ways to eat chocolate and peanut butter....so good!
      I'm happy you like some of my recipes! Thanks for pinning :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...